Saturday, June 16, 2018

Japan : Osaka Kansai Airport > Kyoto > Shijo Omiya (Day 1)

23 May 2018

After 6 and a half hour of flight, we arrived in Osaka, Kansai Airport at 4:30p.m. ✌ I was waiting for my luggage and caught a glimpse of my bag at the side of the luggage belt. Apparently an officer was pulling some bags from the belt selectively and put it at the side. So if you cannot find your bags, don't panic ๐Ÿ˜ญ, look around and check first. 

I heard so much about Japan and its vending machines prior my trip. Even at the airport itself, there were a lot of drink vending machines. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Unlike most travelers, we decided to head to Kyoto first instead of Osaka. At the airport, we crossed the bridge to the opposite building to get our Kyoto Access Ticket at Nankai Ticket Office. You can also buy your JR Pass beside the Nankai Ticket Office (the one in blue).

Our Airbnb was at Shijo Omiya, Kyoto. We bought the Kyoto Access Ticket from Nankai Kansai-Airport to Omiya Station, which costs 1,230 yen per pax. It is the cheapest option ๐Ÿ‘ to go to Kyoto. 

The bottom ticket was from Nankai Kansai Airport to Tengachaya. From Tengachaya, we switched to local sub to Omiya Station with the ticket on top. 

This was where we boarded the train. If you are not sure, do ask the friendly officers around. They are usually very helpful. 

Japanese are very quiet in train. They usually play with their handphones or read books in train. Also, they would put their bags either between their legs or at the overhead compartment. I was quite fascinated with the fact that all trains I took in Japan are cushioned ๐Ÿ˜. 

The train journey took approximately two hours. We were thankful that our Airbnb was only 5 minutes walk from Omiya Station. When we reached our Airbnb, it was already 8p.m. ๐Ÿ˜ซ 

The place was small but cozy. 

I really loved the fact that we could cook here. The fridge was a tad too small thou. 

This was probably the smallest toilet + bathroom I had ever used. The bath tub beside the sink was extremely small. The shower and sink were sharing taps. 

We went to Seabura no Kami Mibu (ใ‚ปใ‚ขใƒ–ใƒฉใƒŽ็ฅž) for our late dinner. It was around 7 minutes walk from our place. 

Seabura Niboshi Soba (Backfat dried small sardines ramen, +Onion, +Egg) - their signature ramen (950Y). You had to order from the vending machine and it was all Japanese. We managed to make our order with the help of the shop assistant. The recommendation was to order the ramen with onion broth and egg.

Tips: 
Take photos of the food that you want to eat when you were doing research and show it to the shop assistant to avoid ordering wrong food.

I wanted to try another rice dish but the shop assistant said its not available๐Ÿ˜ž. So, we randomly selected a rice dish from the photos shown at the vending machine. We were so surprised to find that its actually noodles - Mazesoba (ใพใœใใฐ) (800Y). It was served in a thick sesame sauce with lard and soy sauce. You basically mixed all the ingredients together like a noodle version of bibimbap. It was savoury ๐Ÿ˜‹and I prefer this over their signature ramen. 

We ordered medium portion for both and was alarmed by the big portion. Their medium was large to us. As I was feeling thankful scooping the last bit of noodles, the shop assistant came....

Shop Assistant  : Gohan (rice) *pointing at the Mazesoba*, service (on the house)! OK?
Me                      : *Smile and nod* OKOK! ๐Ÿ˜Š*turning to husband* I told you those were rice on top! They said it was on the house.
Husband            : I see I see ๐Ÿ˜ฎ.

When I was feeling proud that I could understand basic Japanese, the shop assistant came....

Shop Assistant  *passed me a scoop of rice* Service! *points at the Mazesoba and gestures to pour the rice in to eat with the sauce*
Me                      : *finally realized what she meant* Ahhhhh OKOK! *forced myself to smile* ๐Ÿ˜†

I tell you.... my stomach was on the verge of bursting from too much food at that point of time but I had to finish it if not it would seem too impolite. I felt very warmed by the hospitality thou. 

That pretty much sums up our first day in Japan! ๐Ÿ’•

No comments:

Post a Comment